Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Science from WOW to FFS

I've mentioned before that I make notes on the scientific papers I read, which I've found really helps me to remember them. Sometimes these are quite extensive, but mostly it's just a one sentence summary of the main idea, along with a brief comment.

Sometimes a very brief one. After doing this for a while, I've arrived at a scale of three letter comments. From awesome to awful:

WOW!
Ooh!
Mmm...
Hmm.
Pff.
Wtf?
FFS


Those of you who follow me on Twitter may find this helps to interpret some of my shorter posts...

7 comments:

Beth@WeightMaven said...

LOL ;).

Richard said...

I developed a similar scale based on smiley faces, known as "The Tomsett Qualitative Assessment Scale of How Much Shit We Know About a Particular Area of Neuroscience". It only has three levels: smiley, blank, and sad. Admittedly this makes it hard to differentiate between most subject areas based on this single scale alone, but I think it will be looked back upon as my finest contribution to neuroscience in my career. Much as Einstein considered his famous notation to be his greatest contribution to physics. Apparently.

practiCal fMRI said...

Mmm...



(Sorry, I couldn't resist. And you just *knew* someone was gonna do it. Let's just say I owe you a beer.)

practiCal fMRI said...

I actually found the post amusing. Which begs the question, where does

Mwahahaha!!! (Hilarious smiley)

fit on this list? You know, that full-on "I wonder which muppets reviewed THIS sh*t. No wonder it's published in JSHiT" sort of belly laugh publication you can't wait to tell all your friends about so they can poke holes, too? (I can give examples. In private. Offline.)

Åse said...

I think I have adopted the Hmmm. Quite possibly from you. There may be a research paper in this: "Internet mediated mimicry of the linguistic tics of higher status bloggers" or something.

Anonymous said...

You could replace mmm... with meh.

Anonymous said...

WUT?